OpenSplice DDS Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pepijn

Video streaming over WiFi

I'm trying to stream video using RTP over DDS connected via WiFi. This works great for a single subscriber, but breaks when two people try to watch the stream.

When there are multiple subscribers, OpenSplice switches to multicast. As explained on wikipedia, mulitcast over WiFi causes more packet loss and a lower datarate.

What would be the best way to allow multiple subscribers to work properly?

I tried to set AllowMulticast to false, but this caused the entire node to not be discoverable. I assume this is because it uses multicast for discovery? I have not yet found how to disable it for data only.

[edit] AllowMulticast changed from a boolean to a list of values, setting it to spdp allows sending data as unicast. The question that remains is if multicast can be used effectively over WiFi

I also tried to connect the subscribers over wired LAN, hoping that there would be less conflicts in the multicast traffic. But even though IGMP snooping is enabled, the video is still broadcast over WiFi. I assume because the publisher is subscribed to the multicast group that it writes to. Is there a way to set up multicast such that traffic is not re-broabcast on the WiFi interface?