OpenSplice DDS Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pepijn

Generated IDL file fails to build on Windows

I have a CMake project that generates a shared library based on a IDL file. On linux this works great, and installs a .so file in /usr/local.

But now I'm trying to compile the same project on Windows. I have downloaded DDS Community Edition Version 6.x for Windows (64-bit) Host and Target, Visual Studio 2015, x64 chipset, and have installed Visual Studio 2015.

CMake successfully generates an Visual Studio Solution file, but when I open this file in Visual Studio 2015 and build it, I get the following errors:

Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
Error    LNK1120    3 unresolved externals    Operator    C:\Users\rove\Documents\GitHub\rove_msgs\build\Debug\Operator.dll    1    
Error    LNK2019    unresolved external symbol __imp__c_stringNew_s referenced in function "unsigned char __cdecl __Operator_Control__copyIn(struct c_base_s *,class Operator::Control const *,struct _Operator_Control *)" (?__Operator_Control__copyIn@@YAEPAUc_base_s@@PBVControl@Operator@@PAU_Operator_Control@@@Z)    Operator    C:\Users\rove\Documents\GitHub\rove_msgs\build\OperatorSplDcps.obj    1    
Error    LNK2019    unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) unsigned char __cdecl __DDS_Time_t__copyIn(struct c_base_s *,class dds::core::Time const *,struct _DDS_Time_t *)" (__imp_?__DDS_Time_t__copyIn@@YAEPAUc_base_s@@PBVTime@core@dds@@PAU_DDS_Time_t@@@Z) referenced in function "unsigned char __cdecl __Operator_Control__copyIn(struct c_base_s *,class Operator::Control const *,struct _Operator_Control *)" (?__Operator_Control__copyIn@@YAEPAUc_base_s@@PBVControl@Operator@@PAU_Operator_Control@@@Z)    Operator    C:\Users\rove\Documents\GitHub\rove_msgs\build\OperatorSplDcps.obj    1    
Error    LNK2019    unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) void __cdecl __DDS_Time_t__copyOut(void const *,void *)" (__imp_?__DDS_Time_t__copyOut@@YAXPBXPAX@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl __Operator_Control__copyOut(void const *,void *)" (?__Operator_Control__copyOut@@YAXPBXPAX@Z)    Operator    C:\Users\rove\Documents\GitHub\rove_msgs\build\OperatorSplDcps.obj    1    

I have also tried to run it in a shell with the env activated, with the same result.

>C:\dds\HDE\x86_64.win64\release.bat
>devenv /build Release RoVe.sln

I even tried rebuilding using these instructions. So now I'm out of ideas.

I solved it in the end. It turns out that a DLL needs all its dependencies linked, while a SO is happy to find them at runtime. So after adding the DDS libraries as a dependency to the DLL in cmake, it worked. Well, kinda, you also need to export all the symbols.