OpenSplice DDS Forum
burnout

DataReader settings for first read opeartion

Hi all!

In my application I require that the just created DataReader(s) with a listener attached (that for the moment, has only the method on_data_available implemented), do not automatically read the samples that were previously written by a DataWriter (because I have to implement a dedicated procedure for doing it).

What is the best solution for accomplish it ?

Thanks in advance for every answer I will receive,

Regards

G.

Hi

To help us understand the requirements a bit better, do you mean you want to read the historical data with a different mechanism to that of the "live" volatile data?  All of the data (both volatile and transient/persistent) is presented in the same way at the reader so I'm not sure about that, but if the historitcal data refers to a different DDS instance to the "live" data, the take/read_instance() functions could be useful to retrieve samples from those specific instances

Hope that helps,

James

Hi you! Thanks for the answer.

What I want, is that as a new DataReader is created, and I attached a dedicated listener (that just execute a read operation on the on_data_available method), in case I have some sample previously written, this DataReader does not read these samples automatically ( I have to implement a dedicated function to accomplish it ).

I don't know if what I want is reachable with the settings of the policies of the topic, or in some other ways.

do you mean you want to read the historical data with a different mechanism to that of the "live" volatile data?

Yes, it's actually what I have to obtain: a function that ask for the samples (persistent/transient, doesn't change) written prior the creation of the DataReader. But this is not hard to implement, I can just do a read operation only once.

About the instance, what do you mean ? If I understood your point, I don't have a precise indication which instance is historical and which is not...or, is it possible to have it ? It would solve my problem...  

I hope I have been more clear this time, in case it doesn't don o hesitate to ask further explanations.

Cheers

G.

Hi 'G',

Maybe a solution would be to create a volatile reader rather than a transient (or persistent) reader for the data.

If you'd create such a volatile reader, no historical data will be provided unless you specifically call wait_for_historical_data().

-Hans