OpenSplice DDS Forum
naldov

DDS Reader Without data type

Hi,

I have a question about one feature of OpenSplice.

I would like to know if it is possible to create a Reader on a topic with a component which does not have (at the compilation) the data type of the topic.

For exemple :

I have a topic --> Topic_Sensor

The data type are : Sensor.Temperature (with all class generated)

I have some components which publish on this topic, but I would like the subscriber to read on this topic without knowing Sensor.Temperature when we compile the code.

Can we get the class at run time with a OpenSplice Method ?

Hi Naldov,

What you want isn't supported by the DDS-specification (unless you create generic topics with name/value-pairs, or XML that are 'self-describing').

However we do have an internal Java-API for 'Control and Monitoring' (C&M) that's typically used by our (Java-based) tools and that offers dynamic type-discovery and provides a dynamic/untyped API. As said its an internal API and (thus) not supported and subject-to-change. So depending on the 'urge' for this feature and the dependency on Java, that might be an option ..

-hans

Hello,

Isn't this feature part of the DDS Extensible Types Specification? Are there plans to have OpenSplice support it? I think other vendors like RTI claim to already support it.

Igor

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your response.

This functionality is required for our university project, could we know if we can use your internal solution, or if we need to plan developement to add this feature to our project.

Best regards,

Naldov