OpenSplice DDS Forum
ikhlas

opensplice can't start

Hello

I'm new here.

i've just install the new ospl v6.1 in windows for evaluation version

and set path C:\Program Files\PrismTech\OpenSpliceDDS\V6.1.1p1\HDE\x86.win32\bin;C:\Program Files\PrismTech\OpenSpliceDDS\V6.1.1p1\HDE\x86.win32\lib;C:\Program Files\PrismTech\OpenSpliceDDS\V6.1.1p1\HDE\x86.win32\jar\dcpssaj.jar;C:\Program Files\PrismTech\OpenSpliceDDS\V6.1.1p1\HDE\x86.win32\jar

but when i'm running the ospl start

I get the following error message on my command prompt that

the domain xml specifies a single process configuration. Starting a daemon is not required in this mode

what does this mean and how can I solve it

Thanks in advance

Hi Ikhlas,

In V6 the so-called 'single process' deployment architecture has been introduced next to the already existing 'federated shared memory' deployment architecture.

Single process architecture

The single process deployment architecture allows the DDS applications and OpenSplice administration to be contained together within one single operating system process. This deployment option is most useful in environments where shared memory is unavailable or undesirable. As dynamic heap memory is utilized in the single process deployment environment, there is no need to pre-configure a shared memory segment which in some use cases is also seen as an advantage of this deployment option. Each DDS application on a processing node is implemented as an individual, self-contained standalone operating system process (i.e. all of the DDS administration and necessary services have been linked into the application process). This is known as a single process application. Communication between multiple single process applications co-located on the same machine node is done via the (loop-back) network, since there is no memory shared between them. The Single Process deployment is the default deployment architecture provided within OpenSplice V6

Shared Memory architecture

In the ‘federated’ shared memory architecture data is physically present only once on any machine but smart administration still provides each subscriber with his own private view on this data. Both the DDS applications and OpenSplice administration interface directly with the shared memory which is created by the OpenSplice daemon on start up. This architecture enables a subscriber's data cache to be seen as an individual database and the content can be filtered, queried, etc. by using the OpenSplice content subscription profile. Typically for advanced DDS users, the shared memory architecture is a more powerful mode of operation and results in extremely low footprint, excellent scalability and optimal performance when compared to the implementation where each reader/writer are communication end points each with its own storage (i.e. historical data both at reader and writer) and where the data itself still has to be moved, even within the same platform.

Switching between architectures

The deployment architecture choice between a shared-memory federation or a standalone ‘single process’ is a runtime choice driven by a simple single configuration parameter in the domain configuration xml file (within //OpenSplice/Domain element):

<SingleProcess>true</SingleProcess> <!-- Uses single process architecture -->

OR

<SingleProcess>false</SingleProcess> <!-- Uses shared memory architecture -->

Note that there is absolutely no need to recompile or even re-link an application when selecting or changing the deployment architecture. The deployment modes can be mixed at will, so even on a single computing node, one could have some applications that are deployed as a federation as well as other applications that are deployed as individual 'single processes'.

I get the following error message on my command prompt that

This is reported when you try to start the OpenSplice services while using a Single Process configuration. In this mode, starting services seperately is not applicable. This is the default behaviour in V6 (see $OSPL_HOME/etc/config/ospl.xml). To get the behaviour you are used to, please configure 'false' for //OpenSplice/Domain/SingleProcess and you should be able to start everything in the same way as before. Another option is to use one of the various other configuration files that are delivered with OpenSpliceDDS V6 (located in $OSPL_HOME/etc/config). I suspect the configuration file named 'ospl_shmem_native.xml' matches the configuration you've been using with V5.

Hello ,

so, i did the same thing (<SingleProcess>false</SingleProcess>)

I get the following error message on my command prompt that:

the opensplice deamon license cannot be acquired therefore the deamon cannot be started

what does this mean and how can I solve it

Thanks in advance

Hi Mohammed,

You will need to ensure that your license file is placed within the etc directory.

Ant